Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Comparing Lebron to Jordan MUST End Now

It has never failed to insult me when someone tried to compare Lebron James (LJ) to Michael Jordan (MJ).

Yes, he has the physical tools and talent for the comparison although I NEVER thought he would be able to win the 6 Championships like MJ. In addition, I've never felt that LJ had the KILLER attitude of MJ. It didn't matter what situation he was in or who the Bulls were playing, MJ always came to destroy the opponent - Always.

Even a single performance by LJ and the Cleveland Cavaliers on their home court, like game 5's pitiful display against the Boston Celtics should stop any future comparison. Did you ever see MJ have a performance like the description below? I'll answer the question for you - NO!

The reigning two-time MVP missed 11 of 14 shots Tuesday while settling for jumpers at an alarmingly ineffective rate. His Cavs lost 120-88 in Game 5, which trends historically as the crucial game of any tight series. James was 0 for 4 at the half and did not score his initial field goal until the 30th minute when he leaked away for a soft two-handed dunk that nicked at Boston's ascendant 65-52 advantage. As he ran back to his teammates he heard cheers tinged with about-time sarcasm.

"We played awful," said James. "They got every right to boo us if they want to."
(http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ian_thomsen/05/12/celtics.cavs5/)

This statement by Lebron from the same article above is very telling:

"I put a lot of pressure on myself to try to be great, to try to be the best player on the court. And when I'm not, I feel bad for myself because I'm not going out there and doing the things that I know I can do. I'm not going to hang my head low or make excuses about anything that may be going on. That's just not the type of player and the type of person that I am."

Can you imagine MJ feeling bad for himself? When that happens, confidence is shaken and the focus goes away from the goal on the court - namely winning.

In all my years of basketball (including Division 1 at UVM) I never felt bad for myself even when my play was less than stellar or a coach performed poorly. My confidence stayed high as I knew what I was capable of bringing to the basketball court. In my opinion, "feeling bad for yourself" is a sign of weakness in many areas not just basketball - something that should worry the Cavaliers.

Keep in mind that I like Lebron and the way he has carried himself and the NBA to new heights. He seems to be very team oriented and his personal life has not become tabloid fodder. What really matters in the end is how many championships he wins, not the numerous MVP awards (two so far) he will win in the future.

Kobe Bryant's legs and body are hurting now at the age of 31 because he has put so much wear and tear on them after coming to the NBA directly from high school as a teenager. It wouldn't surprise me to see LJ in that same predicament in 6 years as he came to the league in the same fashion as Kobe.

I'll be kind and give LJ ten more healthy seasons in the NBA - years he will be lucky to get. In those 10 years, he needs 6 Championship rings to equal the mighty MJ. With his past performances and numerous chances to win an NBA title including this year, would you put your money on him getting 6 rings? I wouldn't and he won't. 6 MVP's maybe.

Let's hope he can bounce back from this recent negativity.  This criticism should make him stronger.  If not, the all important NBA championships could remain elusive.

Now at 25, he is on the verge of being defined negatively for the first time in basketball. What he may not realize now, but will learn to appreciate at the far end of his career, is that he needs this criticism. Each of the biggest winners before him failed in his own way -- Michael, Isiah Thomas, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird -- and each was driven by that failure to succeed. The question for James is whether this failure is put to an end with victories in the next two games, or whether it is carried forth throughout the long summer ahead, carrying him like a flooding tide away from Cleveland and to a new home entirely.
(from same article as first quote above)

Having lived in Manhattan for a decade along with working at Madison Square Garden (MSG) in the mid 1990's, I hope LJ is brave enough and wise enough to take his talents to the "World's Most Famous Arena". The Big Apple would love to have him!

Being a free agent this year, I don't know if he is ready for the bright lights of New York City but it would sure give him the test of a lifetime and if he succeeds, the Cleveland years will be an afterthought.

Jordan loved to play at MSG and had some of his most memorable games there including a game 5 victory over the NY Knicks in the 1993 Conference Finals on route to a third championship. I enjoyed that game 20 rows from the court.

Lebron just wasted a game 5 victory versus Boston and his team will be hard pressed to recover and win the series if he doesn't stop "feeling bad for himself"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I concur!

I’m not even sure I want him on my Knicks. I know he’ll do well but is he as great as MJ? Kobe? Nope. So, for all the money they’re about to spend on a free agent, I’d rather they spend it on Wade and Bosh or Wade and Stodamire…or better yet, I’d wait just one more year and pickup Melo. I never believed that hype about Lebron and you are right, that game 5 showed his real self. He’s above average but he isn’t a great player.

Anonymous said...

are you serious? Jordan had off games and at this point in his career it's when he started to become what is the legend now. LeBron has been carrying a team that shouldn't need carrying and they've depended too much on him thus far but I'm pretty sure that they'll pull off it in 7 because dude is scary when he gets upset¨

Anonymous said...

simple solution for Lebron -- win championships. Only young people -- say under 20 think Lebron is better than Jordan... talking about Jordan for them is like people talking about Bob Cousy.

That game in Cleveland was weird -- not sure what happened to the Cavs but the Celtics are still very dangerous. KG is not what he was but I will take him at 70% over Jamison -- also someone got to Rasheed Wallace after game one where he played terribly and he has been a huge factor, making big plays, good d and rebounding.

Because the Big 3 has slowed Rondo has had to elevate his game -- and he has -- he has become a top player in the league, not just a top point guard.

Of course all this talk can change tonight if the Cavs win in Boston, where the have had great success -- then game 7 in Cleveland. Its a great series with the reward being able to play a rested, scary, Magic.

Anonymous said...

True dat! Lebron took the night off against the Celtics on Tuesday. None of the greats (Magic, MJ, Michael, Larry, Doc) would ever roll over like he did. I am disappointed....

Anonymous said...

Hey George,

Your comments were proven right by game 6. Solid performance, but not inspiring enough to keep his team from wilting. Nonetheless I hope my Knicks get him, although if I were him I'd go elsewhere, given their bad decision making as a franchise. Go Celtics!